Friday, October 21, 2011

Just what the DOctor ordered

A child is sick and showing several alarming symptoms. Worried, the parents rush the child to the nearest hospital. At this point it is still very unsure exactly what the child has. I can't help but picture how many different ways this child can be treated, depending on what the doctor deems suitable.

There are two major branches of medicine (allopathic and osteopathic). An allopathic doctor is an M.D. and an osteopathic doctor is a D.O. In many cases both of these branches may have completely different approaches to treating the same disease.

I want to share with you my passion for the osteopathic approach to medicine. All of this started while observing my grandma's aging process. She takes over 15 different medications a day. The sad part is that she even has to take medications to counteract the side effects of the other medications. I am outraged at the fact that not only does she have to take all these pills, but she has to take them for life. I never agreed with that. What do people in Latin American countries do? I know for a fact they don't live off of pills the way we do here. For example, why is it so easy to prescribe a pill to lower your cholesterol? Wouldn't it be wise to boost your body's own natural mechanisms to combat disease? Wouldn't it be wise to prescribe a healthy diet that will eliminate harmful cholesterol? But being such a microwave culture, we want results quick and easy. We can take a pill to lower cholesterol levels, while continuing to eat junk and not exercising properly. We treat the symptoms, but seldom treat the root of the problem; the self-destructive habits we have that make us prone to so many diseases. I know I don't have much authority in this area. I don't eat healthy most of the time and I almost never exercise, but I have been making changes in this direction.

Sorry if this is too much of an outburst. As you can see, this is a very touchy subject for me. I am zealous about trying to getting people to change their attitudes towards medical care. Less prescription drugs, and more preventive and holistic techniques. True doctors understand how the body functions and can treat illnesses using the God-given resources available within the body itself. God designed us so intricately; and I can't wait to get into med-school and study the human body in more depth.

No comments: