Saturday, March 26, 2011

Missions... Missions... Missions...

I am humbled by all the support and encouragement I've received. That is why I've decided to start this blog. I want to share my heart with you and tell you about how all of this began.

I am a missionary; no doubt about it. This is God's calling over my life.

A project I did as a freshman in high school led me to consider different career paths and choose one that I felt most identified with. My kid cousins love me, I love to help others in need, and I am a science nerd; Pediatrics was a perfect fit. This is when I decided to join the medical magnet program at Miami Northwestern High. The bus-ride to and from school was long, leaving a guy named Erick with a lot of free time to talk to me about Jesus. It was on these long bus rides where I fell in love with my Lord and Savior.
In 2001 I went on a youth retreat where God spoke to my heart in a way like He had never done before. At this retreat I received my first prophesy about missions. I had never heard of missions before, and so I was left with an overwhelming curiosity to investigate what this all meant. I went into research mode. As I found information, it became more and more apparent that this was God's plan for my life; something bigger than what I had planned for myself. My heart for medicine and missions became inseparable. Since then I've received several other prophesies and confirmations that this is indeed my destiny.

On July 5-15 I will be traveling with Zion Christian Fellowship to Costa Rica on my first missions trip. I will be sure to take many pictures to share with you here.

Please keep me in your prayers. This is sure to be a life-changing experience for me; the first of many more to come.

God bless you,
Jennifer Alvarado

3 comments:

Jennifer Rod said...

Jen this is so awesome! I am very happy for you. The world of missions is so amazing. I know this is your God-given dream and that you will do great in your upcoming trip.

Blessings to you!

Jen

Jennifer Alvarado said...

Thank u Jenny. I can't wait to take you w me on trips and have you sing to my kids. I know your voice will help soothe whatever sickness these kids might have.

Jennifer Rod said...

Aww that sounds awesom Jen! <3 I know God will use us in more ways than we can imagine.