Monday, September 19, 2011

Exalt 2011 (part 1)

The lights turn off and the countdown starts...

Little Jeffrey gets on the stage and introduces the masters of ceremony. Enter Milagros and Eddie. A lovely welcome was given to all the people there and the other churches that joined us. This was just the beginning of an amazing night.

Exalt was the title we gave to our youth talent show. And we got to see A LOT of talent. What was the most beautiful part is that from the very beginning when we were planning this event, we had set in our hearts that the main purpose was to encourage our young people to put their talents to use in a way that would bring God glory. This was not a night to show off talents, but to offer them to God and exalt Him with them.

The first participation was Ricardo and the band he put together. He composed a beautiful song and had the band play it. Let me just say that the song is truly anointed. Today it's been stuck in my head the whole day, and my friends have told me the same thing. We are going to start playing it in our Sunday services as part of the worship.

The second participation was Camille and Lily doing a choreography to Casting Crown's song Praise Him in the Storm. In the weeks leading up to Exalt they would talk to me about the choreography and how their desire was for each movement to transmit the message of the song. We can have hope in knowing that in the midst of the storms of life God is right there with us. The choreography was not just elegant and graceful; it spoke hope and encouragement to people that needed it.

Genesis and Amanda sang Beautiful Beautiful by Francesca Battistelli, and it was absolutely beautiful (sorry for the redundancy). I had never had the chance to hear Genesis sing before and she blew me away. These girls sang with all their heart and I am so proud of them.

Jeffrey did spoken word to a poem he titled "Redemption". Everybody enjoyed hearing his poem. He has a wonderful ability to express himself through poetry. He has a bunch of notebooks at home full of poetry he has written.

Joshua played a song on the saxophone titled, Exaltate, a song we've sang in our worship services. I had to just stand back and admire his stamina. I would not be able to blow into the saxophone and play one for over five minutes. He played the entire song, not just bits and pieces of a song like you may usually hear. He put his all into the song and it showed. I can't wait for him to play on a regular basis as part of our worship team in church.

Reset, the youth worship band of Centro Biblico International was the last participation before the special finale. It was such a pleasure to have them with us. They played three songs and everybody had a special time of praise and worship with them. My friend Shadia is the leader of the worship band and it was my first time getting to see her play the drums.

There are many pictures and videos to upload, but here are pictures of each of the participants.


The leadership of the youth ministry put together a special finale. We incorporated each of our talents into a skit. To finish the night, my youth pastor, Pastor Willy gave a powerful message encouraging everybody to discover their talents and abilities and to use them to bring God glory. This became one of my favorite messages out of all the ones that I have heard him preach throughout the years. I feel so blessed to be a part of this ministry and to see how God is lifting us up as He has promised us.

Although this post is already long, I would like to include a poem that I wrote specially for the finale:

You may as well call me Babel
Confused and unable to find my way
A journey I once started with Christ, Immanuel
Has now turned into dismay

Oh heart, how envy has lead you to a dark and lonely place
At the mere sight of God’s work in another person’s life
My peace and joy become like vapor and vanish without a trace
And my soul is consumed with bitterness and strife

If only I could have Joseph’s ability to interpret dreams
If only I was as the apostles, people could be healed by my shadow
Or as the Prophet Jonah brought a nation to repentance on it’s knees
To have the courage of David, who killed Goliath with one throw

How I long to say, “Here I am, send me”
Many say that in serving You there is great delight
And on their faces I see their genuine glee
But in my case, I can’t seem to get it right

What have I to offer to the Creator who reigns in majesty?
Talents and gifts to honor Him with; I have none
These melancholy words are spoken in all honesty
How can I present myself empty handed before your Son?

For although you know the plans you have for me
Plans for good, plans of a future and of hope
Your purpose in my life I cannot see
And I find myself in a battle, struggling to cope

So I pray that you help open up my eyes
Help me see myself the way you do
For I have fallen for the enemy’s lies
Help me to rediscover that your words are true

My mind and my heart cannot seem to reconcile
I know that God chose me for a reason
I’ve been hearing this now for a while
Perhaps God will reveal my purpose in due season

Am I that clay contending with the Potter?
Why did you make me this way?
Am I that child questioning God the Father?
Why was I brought to this earth anyway?

Now to rid myself of this attitude
I can have the Holy Spirit if I ask
Let my heart be filled with gratitude
And my gifts and talents will He unmask

No comments: