Monday, September 26, 2011

What we're made Of

We were remembering with my pastor all the tough times that our church has been through. Indeed it is nothing short of a miracle that we are still standing. God has sustained us in a supernatural way.

One of the hardest times was back in 2003. All at once, the city closed down our church for over a year, my pastor's health deteriorated in Guatemala and he needed immediate surgery. We were left without a church and without a pastor. But even in this, we saw God's provision and care. Vida Abundante church opened up their doors and let us have our services there at night.

And this is the stuff we're made of. I love remembering how the church came together. Although we didn't have a building of our own, and the pastor was fighting for his life, God brought a unity in us that helped us get through this tough time.

I also think about the underground church in China. They are in constant persecution. They are arrested and tortured for their faith. Yet in all this, the underground church is growing exponentially. People are coming to Christ in record numbers. They even send missionaries around different parts of China and neighboring countries.

Jesus' words in Matthew 16:18 hold true.

Matthew 16:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

No comments: